In honor of Cinco de Mayo, we wanted to share a few dessert recipes that are perfect for topping off the taco bar buffet. These recipes are simple enough to be whipped up by tomorrow, but delicious enough to be enjoyed at any time of the year!
– Watermelon Sorbet –
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
6 cups watermelon
2 tbsp lime juice (about 1 lime)
1) Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar; then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
2) Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature (should take about 45 minutes).
3) Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour, until chilled.
4) Meanwhile, place watermelon and lime juice in a food processor and combine until smooth. Strain the mixture through a sieve to remove seeds (push any large watermelon chunks through the sieve).
5) Combine the watermelon puree and sugar-water mixture, then pour into a shallow metal pan. Freeze for about 30 minutes, then stir mixture to incorporate the ice crystals. Repeat process every 30 minutes until all of the liquid is frozen, then allow the mixture to harden in the freezer for 1-2 hours before serving.
**Recipe found on Her Campus.
– Margarita Ice Cream –
15-oz can coconut milk
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup lime juice (about 3 or 4 limes)
1 tsp lime zest
1/4 cup tequila
1/4 tsp orange extract
1/4 tsp salt
1) Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
2) Freeze using an ice cream maker, or use the method described in step 5 of the recipe above.
3) Prepare glass serving dishes by rubbing the rim with a lime wedge and inverting on a plate of salt (optional).
**Recipe found on One Green Planet.
We hope these quick and delicious recipes will help liven up your Cinco de Mayo celebrations! We also hope you get a chance to take part in one of our other favorite Mexico-inspired traditions this week…the siesta! 🙂